Wednesday, May 08, 2013
Weathering the Ups and Downs
Do you remember Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time? Meg & Charles traveled through time and space by means of a tesseract. Imagine a piece of cloth. You're standing on one end as the cloth folds at the center allowing you to easily take one step to reach the other end of the cloth...i.e., the wrinkle. This is the journey of the actor
She goes one to list
...three quick things to remember when you're having 'one of those days.'
- It's not linear, it's tesseract-ical.
- What you do today matters tomorrow.
- Pack your bag.
- Acting isn't accounting, don't expect your career to progress in a linear way, because acting careers rarely do.
- Do what needs doing today even if you can't yet see the results.
- Number 2 means preparing now for a future that doesn't yet exist. Prepare, it is one of our only tools to cope with uncertainty.
comments: Post a Comment