Friday, October 15, 2010
Headshot Picture Backgrounds
On twitter I asked for options on what the background of a headshot picture should be, and here are some of the replies (in no particular order):
- Brick Entertainment (talent agent)
- we like b/g's that r out of focus & contrast w/ur hair, skin tone, clothing. so u don't blend in & get lost in a thumbnail pic
- David Ross Headshots (headshot photographer)
- depends. colors that make your eyes and skin tone pop, as well as colors that are web friendly. most casting is online now
- Lara Holmes (talent agent)
- I prefer plain, neutral backgrounds. Anything else is too distracting.
- Act One Talent (talent agent)
- What color headshot bkgrnd b < solid color not distracting, varies for actor colors and clothing. Lighter usually better
- Valerie Chiovetti (talent agent)
- ~Bright, light background! No dark - unless you're a blonde - otherwise you blend into the backdrop and look like a floating head
As this small sampling suggests, opinions differ. However, colors working well with the actor and wardrobe, not being distracting and making for a good thumbnail seem to be common themes. Any thoughts? Please leave a comment.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Negotiating a Fair Rate
My friend Thomai Hatsios has written a post about negotiating a fair rate for non-union work and while it is aimed toward crew, much of her perspective applies to actors as well. Some key thoughts are: don't sell your self short, she "...became better at negotiating rates the day I learned to turn down gigs." Remember that denial of services (saying "no, thank you") may be the source of all power actors have in this business.